Rhea Update Adds More Power And Mystery To Popular Sci-Fi Universe
Following the tremendous reception from players and critics alike to its recent “This is EVE (2014)” game trailer, which featured actual EVE player audio recordings with stunning space visuals, CCP Games has today delivered 2014’s largest update to the massive, sci-fi universe of EVE Online. The Rhea release adds dozens of major features, new ships and innovative areas of space to the EVE universe. It continues the long tradition of co-creating the game with player feedback within a very quick 5-6 week development cycle that ensures the next free update to EVE is just around the corner.
New features in Rhea include:
- 100 new wormhole systems have been discovered in the wake of mysterious events in New Eden
- A newly revealed wormhole system, Thera, is a location unlike any other in the universe and is home to four fully-equipped stations with a staggering amount of entry points. At over 340 astronomical units (AU) end to end, it is unparalleled in size and scope
- New exploration sites sit amidst the shattered remnants of heavenly bodies, all pieces of a curious puzzle that may include the emergence of ominous Sleeper scouts from their wormhole havens into known space.
- With some of the most stunning visual updates since the Trinity expansion, EVE has added physically based rendering to support the tremendous beauty and artistry of each of its hundreds of spaceships. In addition, the iconic EVE star map has undergone renovations and a functionality overhaul and a new beta version is open for testing
- EVE‘s User Interface (UI) is modernized with more recognizable icons and an epic science fiction feel. A new opt-in keyboard ship control “WASD” feature means pilots can feel the full power of navigating their deadly ships
- In the name of more explosions, the clone upgrade system and skillpoint loss upon death have been eliminated. Veteran players are expected to put more on the line in battle and new players feel less of a sting upon their first defeats
- Lethal new polarized weapons deliver superior damage and tracking in exchange for all damage resistance, allowing for the perfect “glass cannon” setup
- Two new unique ships provide gameplay opportunities in EVE‘s massive sandbox. The Amarr Confessor tactical destroyer is able to switch seamlessly between defensive, speed and sniper modes during a fight. The ORE Bowhead freighter is a logistics behemoth able to carry fully fitted battleships throughout the galaxy. The ongoing ship redesign effort brings glorious new visuals to the Blackbird, Rook, Falcon, Incursus, Onyx and Eagle
A few unannounced features and many more smaller improvements round out the epic Rhea release.
For a cinematic walkthrough of the Rhea features, see this video.
For descriptions of Rhea’s additions, see this in-development video.
“Rhea expresses our passion for the New Eden universe and the dark science fiction storyline we are co-creating with EVE players. We want the backdrop for the stories our players create to be stunning—a sandbox filled with fantastic locations and gorgeous spaceships that inspire great deeds,” said Andie Nordgren, Executive Producer for EVE Online. “Our player community is ingenious, passionate and hilarious. It’s been amazing to see them embrace the influx of new and returning pilots following the release of the new ‘This is EVE’ trailer.”
EVE‘s next release, whose name has not yet been announced, is due out 13 January. The next episode of “The o7 Show” will discuss Rhea, EVE community happenings, and future plans. It will air on http://Twitch.tv/ccp on Thursday 11 December at 20:00 UTC (3pm Eastern time).
About EVE Online®
Celebrating its eleventh year, EVE Online (PC/Mac) is a captivating science-fiction game in which hundreds of thousands of players compete for riches, power, glory and adventure in a single universe. EVE players build and command a wide variety of starships and traverse vast solar systems interconnected by a sophisticated player-driven economy, forging their own destinies in the meaningful context of other players vying to do the same. Learn more at www.eveonline.com.Pick up your 30 Day Free Trial Code at Markee Dragon Game Codes!