CCP Delegate Zero writes…
Greetings capsuleers. Team Pirate Unicorns, a relatively new team with a strong focus on the new player experience (NPE), is here to talk about some new foundational contextual UI work that has been released on Tranquility today – new and improved tooltips.
Now, tooltips are a small but very important first step in radically overhauling and improving the experience for new players and those playing at all levels of EVE Online. This is because Pirate Unicorns believes that a strong and clear user experience underpinning the game as a whole, and useful to all, makes it much easier to provide an accessible new player experience.
The first piece in our new approach to the NPE is therefore to provide a much richer and wider range of contextual information, with one well-established means for this being tooltips. In today’s release we have added new tooltips to a range of UI areas, replacing existing “hint”-style tooltips, and expanding the information available.
The areas covered by this first phase of tooltips are as follows:
- NeoCom sidebar buttons
- Character Sheet sidebar buttons (also new format applies to skills listing)
- Fitting Window elements comprehensively tipped
- Key Show Information window attributes for Ships and Drones
- Station Services buttons and tabs
- Star Map new format tooltips with better interactions and cleaned up information
- Selected Item window buttons
- Overview entries have tooltips showing icon, group name, and status information where applicable
- Brackets in space have mouse-over tooltips and groups of brackets close together in space are listed in a scrollable tip
- HUD buttons, hitpoint bars, heat indicators, speed readout, etc. tipped
- HUD module buttons in new format but with a higher delay than other new tooltips to preserve the usability as seen currently
To give an idea of these, we have prepared some composite images for the dev blog, but these changes are now live and can be enjoyed on Tranquility.
Check out the tooltips here.